Cast Iron Pressed Pizza Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cannabutter, at room temperature
- 4 slices white sandwich bread
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons pizza or marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- 18 mini or 12 regular pepperoni slices
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Place 4 slices white sandwich bread on a work surface. Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons cannabutter onto the bread. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Flip the slices over and spread with 6 tablespoons pizza sauce. Divide 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese among 2 of the bread slices, then top with 18 mini or 12 regular pepperoni slices. Sprinkle the pepperoni with 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes if desired. Close the sandwiches with the remaining 2 bread slices sauce-side down.
- Option 1: Stovetop cooking with a skillet. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and place a cast iron skillet or other heavy-bottomed pot or pan on top of the sandwiches as a press. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Uncover and flip the sandwiches. Place the second pan on top of the sandwiches again and cook until the second side is golden brown, about 2 minutes more.
- Option 2: Pie iron cooking. Open a cast iron pie iron and place 1 sandwich inside. Close it completely over the sandwich and latch it shut.
- Place the iron on top of the embers of an open fire. Cook until the bottom is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the iron and cook until the second side is golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat, place on a heat-resistant surface, and let cool for 3 to 5 minutes while still shut. The iron will still be extremely hot even after cooling, so be careful.
- Carefully unlatch the cast iron square and pop the sandwich onto a plate. Repeat cooking the remaining sandwich.