Skillet Chicken Pot Pie with Herb Cannabutter Biscuits
For The Chicken:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided.
- 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (see Recipe Notes, below)
- 1 yellow onion, diced.
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium Russet potato, peeled & diced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
For The Biscuit Topping:
- one 16.3-ounce can extra flaky biscuits (from the refrigerator section)
- 2 tablespoons cannabutter, melted (see #41cblog for recipe)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs of choice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- flaky sea salt, to season
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Gather & prep all ingredients according to the ingredients list
- Cook the chicken: Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to a 12-inch oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken breasts with 1 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Place the chicken in the skillet, browning for 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion of the chicken registers an internal temperature of 165F. Set aside to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, carefully shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces – you can do so using 2 forks,
- Place the skillet back over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Once melted, add in the onion, carrots, celery, and potato. Season with ½ tsp kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, until the veggies are softened and slightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the softened veggies and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until deeply browned. While scraping the bottom of the skillet, slowly pour in the chicken stock. It will bubble vigorously, almost cooking all the way down very quickly. Be sure to scrape up any brown bits that may have formed at the bottom of the skillet – that’s where the flavor is! While stirring constantly, slowly pour in the milk. Once combined, add the rosemary, thyme, and sage. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly. Taste and season with additional kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired.
- Stir the shredded chicken and frozen peas into the chicken pot pie filling. Arrange the extra flaky biscuits over top. In a small bowl, combine the cannabutter, chopped herbs, & garlic. Brush the herb cannabutter over the biscuits and finish with a sprinkling of flaky salt as desired.
- Carefully transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake 20-25 minutes until the biscuits are golden & cooked through. Carefully remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Portion the chicken pot pie into individual bowls. Serve immediately. Enjoy!